No matter how good a marriage may seem, not all are destined to last forever. When a couple believes that their marriage is no longer viable a divorce can be imminent. A divorce is often one of the most difficult times in a person’s life so having anything that can make it less stressful can help. Many divorces do not need to go through a traditional litigated divorce and mediation can be a good option. So, what is mediation and why is it the preferred choice?
What is divorce mediation?
Divorce mediation is a settlement process in which both spouses work together with a trained mediator through the divorce process. A couple is able to reach an agreement that is unique to their situation and protects their future.
What are the benefits of mediation?
There are many benefits of using mediation in a divorce settlement. These include:
- Lower cost than litigation
- Quicker process than litigation
- Both parties feel like their concerns are addressed.
- The relationship between the spouses can be preserved making it easier to co-parent.
- Less formal process which can allow both spouses to feel at ease and able to express their wishes.
- Can work in many types of divorce situations, including couples that have children.
A legal professional who is skilled in divorce can help their client determine if mediation would be a good option for their divorce. An attorney understands that their client is under a lot of stress and will work to come up with a plan that protects their future and helps enable a new start.